Thursday, September 10, 2009

Dr. Dolittle and Chief Dan George Got It Right!


I was looking through Tony Stromberg's beautiful book "Spirit Horses" again the other day and read a quote from Chief Dan George:

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other.
If you do not talk to them you will not know them and what you do not know, you will fear.
What one fears, one destroys."

I have talked before about the stressful impact fear has on our bodies and our connection to our horses. I've seen horses risk their own health to support our bad habits that we developed to keep us from falling. I know that if we talk to our horses and then listen to their responses (relaxed neck, fluid movement, etc.) we can do what is not only healthy for us, but healthy for them. When we learn to be balanced we don't fear being on our horse, we don't let fear destroy either of us.

James

3 comments:

  1. Nice post. I find it refreshing when folks regard horses as more than mere mounts. They are, indeed, our partners when we earn their trust (and they ours).

    Linda
    THE MANE POINT – a haven for horse lovers

    ReplyDelete
  2. How right you are. I`ve just moved Flyer to a new yard and I feel far less stressed about how he is living and guess what I can catch him and he is sooo relaxed! When I`m happy he`s happy bless him. Maybe next time we`ll be able to have our lessons together haha. Hope all is good with you and yours. Best Lindsey x

    ReplyDelete